Early Daily Life

 

Island resident Ruby Dill taught kindergarten at P. S. 17 from the 1920s to the 1960s. P. S. 17 was located at 190 Fordham Street, which now houses the City Island Nautical Museum and has recently been designated a New York City landmark. Many Islanders remember Mrs. Dill with great fondness, although they recall being quite intimidated by Mrs. Fitzpatrick, the principal!

August Belmont’s transit company, the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT), which is still in existence, built and operated the famed and fated City Island monorail, which operated from July 1910 until April 1914, the first of its kind in New York City. An experimental monorail displayed at an exposition in Virginia in 1907 impressed the IRT management, which obtained permission for a similar electric monorail to run from the Bartow station to the City Island bridge, through what is now Turtle Cove. Although dubbed “The Flying Lady,” the monorail car fell over on its first run because it went around a corner too quickly, and operation was suspended until November. It never achieved the success the IRT had hoped for, so in 1913 the line was converted to an electric trolley system, and the tracks from the park to Belden Point were converted to standard gauge. The monorail stopped running in April 1914, and the IRT sold the company to the Third Avenue Railway. A few months later the last horse car in the Bronx stopped operating, and a few minutes after that, the first storage-battery car began its run from Bartow Station to City Island.

Fishing has always been a favorite pastime on City Island, first from the original 1873 City Island bridge and then, because fishing was not allowed from the new bridge, from the long pier at Belden Point, the southern tip of the island. When that pier was demolished in the 1960s, fishermen had few options other than to rent a boat or go on a party boat to fish, a situation that continues to exist except for those with access to private beaches.

Cook’s Diner was an island institution for many years. It opened in the 1930s between Bay and Fordham Streets on the east side of City Island Avenue and survived many changes in later years, as Spouter’s Inn (famous for its pies), Tijuana Trolley (a Mexican restaurant), Shanghai Express (a Chinese restaurant), and others. It was demolished and replaced after the turn of the 21st century by the Library Bar (now closed).


facebook

lifering

The City Island Nautical Museum is operated by the City Island Historical Society, a not-for-profit organization. There is no admission fee to the Museum, which relies on donations, grants, and membership dues. All donations are tax-deductible. We welcome new members as well as contributions to our general fund and to our endowment fund. Annual membership dues are: Individual $20; Family $25; Corporate $50; Student $10. Please make checks payable to the City Island Historical Society and send to City Island Historical Society, P.O. Box 82, Bronx, NY 10464.

 

Open on Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. and by special appointment.

The City Island Nautical Museum wishes to thank the following City Island businesses that have become Corporate Members.

AARP Chapter 318
American Legion - Leonard H.
Hawkins Post #156
Artie's Steak and Seafood
Barron's Marine Services, Inc.
City Island Beer Company
City Island Pharmacy
City Island Yacht Club
Connie's New Way Market
Consolidated Yachts, Inc.
John Douglas Forrest
Eben Hansmire
Island Boat Club
Island Insurance Agency
Charles Mandel
Seafood City
Drs. Robert Seigle and
Audell Ray
St. Mary, Star of the Sea Church
Tony's Pier Restaurant
Ultra Automotive



 



©2014 City Island Nautical Museum. All rights reserved






Designed by
dot payne design

 

web counter